The Gospel Faith Mission International, the Church with the Word for the World, founded on the Solid Rock by God, through a small group of committed men and women led by the late Pastor (Dr) R. A. George at Iwaya, Yaba Lagos, has transformed into a divine legacy that has today assumed a global dimension.
It all began with Brother Reuben Akinwalere George (later Pastor (Dr) R. A. George), a member of the Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) and a dynamic leader of the Christ Army Band of the CAC then at 83, Lagos Street, Ebute-Metta, Lagos, who had always felt a deep conviction of the call of God on his life. Thus in 1956, there started first as a Fellowship and Bible Study Group led by Brother R.A.George at his residence at No 9, Omotola Street, Iwaya Yaba, Lagos. The fellowship group then included the late Sister Dupe George, Brothers David Akinremi, Meshack Akinola, Iwaku J. Bagere, Daniel Aluko, Olusegun George, Elijah Oludele Abina, and Elkanah Obideyi. The other members of the group were Brothers Solomon Kudoro, Richard Godonu Akapo, one Mrs. Dorcas Adeyemi, Sisters Mary Kudoro, Felicia Akinremi (later Felicia Abina), Janet Oke, Dupe Oju (later Dupe Akapo), among others.
The Church began to grow, and later moved to her first building at 22, Balogun Street also in Iwaya and from there, gradually spread to Bariga, Ibadan, Mushin and the rest of the world. Pastor George was ordained as Pastor in 1959 and he transited into glory in 1987 after which his deputy all along at the time, Pastor (Dr) E.O. Abina took over the mantle of leadership in the same 1987. It is worthy of note that the Gospel Faith Mission International became an incorporated body in Nigeria in October 1967. The first Annual Convention held at 22, Balogun Street, Iwaya from 4th to 7th November1966. Attendance then was 300 and there was free feeding for participants. The convention now holds at the Mission’s campground, GospelTown, along Igbo Oloyin Road, Ojoo, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria since 1990.
The Church that started with barely 20 people has grown so large today with over 2000 branches under 6 Administrative regions which are further sub-divided into 63 Districts and Areas in Nigeria. Branches have also been established in many African countries such as Benin Republic, Togo, Gabon, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Liberia, among others. In Britain, the Church, which was established in 1983, now has at least four branches. The Church has a theological Seminary, Heritage Bible College, and has extended to the Irish Republic with 3 branches in Dublin. GOFAMINT’s first branch in the United States of America was established in 1984. This has grown into 15 branches today. Equally, the Church now has branches in Calgary, Canada and Turnhout in Belgium. The Mission’s Theological Seminary, Reuben George Memorial College of Theology, (formerly Gospel Bible college) has campuses in Okitipupa, Ondo State and Gospel Town, Ojoo, Ibadan. There are also Schools of Evangelism and Missions. With growth and expansion, different departments and ministries were created. They include Christian Education, Women Ministry, Men Fellowship, Music ministry, Missions, The Power House, Youth Fellowship, Gospel Students Fellowship, Operation Identification, among others. Also, there is the GOFAMINT Comprehensive High School, a secular post-primary school and a number of Heritage Nursery and Primary schools spread across some Districts of the Mission.
The Church is being directed by the Holy Spirit through the Executive Council, which is headed by the current General Overseer, Pastor (Dr) Elijah Oludele Abina.
The church started in the United States in November 23, 1984. Since then, the Lord has blessed the work with about 18 churches with House of Restoration being one the Vibrant growing churches.
By His grace, we are still growing and extending.
To God be the glory.